Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

Day 3: A Rousing Success!!

The goal for today was to actively seek out opportunities to be helpful in my community. Since I had to work during much of the day, I was left with part of the afternoon and the evening within which to perform my heroic deeds.

I used my time at work to contemplate and consider what it was that I should do...

I discovered that there was a new volunteer meeting for an organization known as 'Nearby Nature' - they develop and present environmental based programming for school children - so I figured I would attend.

There - actively seeking out ways in which to help my community.

Well, the meeting was pretty boring and it really didn't make me feel 'active' in the least. My need to help was not satiated. Half-way through the meeting I started to consider other options. The day was running out and I began to feel desperate. What would it mean for Super-Happy-Fun Week if I wasn't able to complete a task with adequate results? Would this be the end?

Luckily I'm a pull-my-ass-out-of-the-fire-at-the-last-minute type of guy. I came up with a brilliant plan - dare I say genious - on how I could actively assist my community.

Vigilante Justice!

After the meeting I rushed home to retrive my bat, Super Happy Fun Ball and my most fierce cat, and we saddled up in my Jeep and headed out on the mean streets of Eugene. This was to be no easy task since, as I previously mentioned, Eugene is a relatively safe community. Sure, we have our share of chomper-challenged meth heads, and random acts of stupidity, but finding crime was sure to be a challenge.

I thought this over; where in Eugene would be the best place to patrol for potential crime?

"What is it that criminals want," I asked?


"What everyone else wants," I answered. "Love and understanding - plus lots of cool electronics to show off to their friends."

Super Happy Fun Ball agreed.

"Where would criminals go to get lots of cool electronics to show off to their friends," I contemplated?

"Where the rich people live," we all screamed together, and with that we headed to the south end of town, or South Hills, to cruise around looking for crime.

We soon made it to our targeted area, and proceeded to slowly cruise the streets, keeping a keen eye out for any signs of crime. Spirits remained high as we completed circuit after circuit through these beautifully tree lined avenues and well kept abodes. The rain had stopped and so many of this areas finest were out walking, savoring the short respite from the relentless NW winter.

The sun started to dip dangerously close to the horizon, and I suddenly became concerned for the welfare of my fellow Eugenians- the approach of nighttime is sure to be a fearful event for these fine folks and all of their fine electronics. I decided to cheer them up.

I rolled down the window, waved my bat around outside of the jeep to show the people that I was armed and that they could feel safe and yelled words of comfort to everyone I passed:

"I've got your back!!"

"I'm watching you!!"

"Your fine electronics will be safe with me!!"

"Don't worry, I've got a bat and I enjoy hitting things with it!"

I could tell by the reaction of the people - the jaunty quickening of their pace, and the slight widening of their eyes - that these people felt safe and appreciated the service that I was offering.

"I'm keeping my eye on you!!" I waved the bat around outside of the window with even more force than before.

Analysis:

Even though I didn't stop any actual crime there is the possibility that my actions prevented potential crime from happening. I'm sure that word got around that I was patrolling the neighbourhood, and criminals would have been fearful about perpetrating unlawful events. For this I feel good!! I actively participated in keeping a part of my community safe. I got myself out and about, and I feel good - warm and fuzzy - about the reactions I received from greatful citizens.

Overall I think this has been the best Super-Happy-Fun Week day yet!!! I actually plan to continue my vigilante missions and will extend my services into other areas of town. I think I may have a new hobby.

Day 4:

For day 4 I've decided to explore my community in an attempt to understand it better. Understanding can only bring me closer to truely appreciating this hippy-infested, sychronicity suck hole.

I've decided to really focus my attention on one aspect of the Eugene community of which I am, at this time, fully unaware...

...Hookers.

Since I've lived here I don't believe that I've seen one hooker. How can that be? Every city has hookers. Where are Eugenes'?

So, for day 4 I will once again hit the streets, but this time on a mission of discovery: Where Are the Hookers?

Wish me luck.

Comments:
Dear CF:

What color is your jeep? Perhaps you need a jeep that blends with your environment so as to catch criminals in the act. Just a thought. It sounds like you are really getting involved with your community, you know, diving right in and helping out, unafraid of negative setors of town. It also sounds like you have an awesomely trained cat - mine would never accompany me on such an adventure, in fact, I might end up maimed while even contmeplated bringing him along. Then again, the males in my life are often at odds.

I wish you...luck?...with your endeavors today and this evening. Please be careful, as I'm sure the crime ridden areas of the city would hate to lose you due to a run in with a woman of the night or two. You just never, ever know what special powers a woman might have!!
 
the Jeep is green and lovely, and sort of blends in. It's a stealth Jeep.

My cat isn't trained. He's fierce! He actually scares me when he gets moody.

I am, in my own mind, fully aware of the powers of women, and quite frankly it's scary. I will take your warning to heart, though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?