Thursday, January 05, 2006

 

Job Search: Day 1

I consider today the start of my official search for a new career/life. It was very exciting. Here's what I accomplished today (which was a day off from my current crappy, wage slave job):

1. Browsed the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) site and job pages. Discovered two jobs which I am both intersted in and qualified for. Pay is good. OMSI is a very good , nationally recognized Museum, getting a job there would be, I believe, positive career move.

2. Browsed museum job postings on museum job search sites. Some interesting stuff out there, but not too much.

3. Browsed museum web pages in cities i'm interested in moving to in both the U.S and Canada. There appear to be many options and possible jobs for me out there. Very exciting. Pay appears to be good at most places for the types of jobs I'm interested in. Feeling good about decision.

4. Read through some of "The Resume Makeover", book that I borrowed from the Eugene Public Library. Actually had some very good tips and am excited to implement them into my current resume.

Results: Not a big production day, but a good start anyway. This is the way I work best, getting to know the lay of the land, scouting things out, getting a feel for the world i'm entering before moving onto production. My plan over the next few days is to revise my resume, work on some cover letters and continue to browse and explore museum web sites and job search sites. I dont' envision sending out resumes for another week or so, with the possible exception being OMSI.

I also took a walk up and over the hill (big hill) behind my apartment, which my first time doing so, ran into a co-worker, and had a nice, long conversation with a friend from NC, and am currently drinking a beer (Blue, perhaps in preparation for my return to Canada...). Overall a very good day off.

Comments:
wow...i thought it was a good day when i discovered that heating up sweet and salty chex mix in the microwave and putting vanilla frosting in your hot chocolate is really flippin good. congrats on your intellect.
 
Intellect has nothing to do with it, although I still accept, humbly, your comment.

I think your discoveries have much merit, though. Seriously, those are the kind of things I never think of...I just read the instructions and do what the food engineers tell me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?