Wednesday, December 14, 2005

 
Since i've recently been thrown back into the hood of bachelordom I figure i'm somewhat of an expert on how life for bachelors is different than that of married guys. Now, besides the obvious difference of 'having a spouse' and 'not having a spouse', there are some distinct lifestyle changes that are involved! Here's a few.

The Good

Food

I've always enjoyed PBJ's (peanut butter and Jam sandwiches), yes, even as an adult, i'm not ashamed to admit, but when married I always felt a twinge of guilt. I could hear my Ex's voice saying 'you could do better.' I disagree, sometimes a PBJ is perfect and needed.

Nowadays I find myself relishing several PBJ's a week, while the voice in my head goes, 'Needs more jam'.

Music

The Ex and I always had different opinions on music. I prefer 'good' music, she enjoys 'crap'. Score one of bachelordom.

Sex

I'm not dating, haven't had any one-night-stands, and don't really know anyone in the area anyway, and yet my sex life is much better than it was during the last couple years of marriage. :).

Being Lazy

I always used to feel guilty when just relaxing. According to my Ex, 'being relaxed is just the cousin of death'.

Neutral

T.V.

Even though I enjoy owning a T.V., I'm also happy with the fact that I no longer own a T.V. There are several shows that I enjoy - Lost, The Simpsons, Family Guy etc., - but now I get to avoid the annoyance I used to feel at all the hours wasted in front of the tube. What I do miss is the ability to watch my fine collection of DVD's. I also bought a good home theatre syster, but that was mainly for music.


Naughty

Apartment living.

The Ex and I bought a house together soon after moving to Oregon. I liked it - it was a great house. She kept the house when we split. I now live in an apartment.

Now, I actually like my apartment, it's a pretty good space, but there are things that I miss about house ownership. For the most part, I don't need to know what my neighbours are doing in their own private space. I don't need to know that my upstairs neighbour had to hit the head at 2 in the morning. I don't need to be awoken before my alarm clock goes off by neighbours clomping past my bedroom window.

I don't need to hear, after a party was broken up in the early hours of the day, a woman screaming at the police 'You made me bleed all over the floor,' or 'I know a good lawyer'. I kept praying that the police would hit her again.

Naked

I miss watching the Ex walk around our house naked. The cats try to make up for it, but it's just not the same.

Sex

Sometimes it would be nice to have a differernt, and somebody else's, body part wrapped around me.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?