Monday, December 12, 2005

 

Oregon

Reasons to stay in Oregon:

1. Great geography/outdoor recreational activities.
2. Portland is a cool city.
3. Eugene is strange/different (which I'm not yet sure is a good thing or not).
4. The challenge of starting from zero
5. It gets cold, but not that cold.
6. It gets hot, but not that hot.
7. From the Valley, the Pacific is only an hour away.
8. Eugene is a city with a small town feel.
9. If you can make it in Eugene, you can make it anywhere.
10. It's laid back in only the way the West Coast can be.
11. The act of actually moving (packing, finding a new place to live etc), especially far, far away, sucks.
12. Mountains and oceans - front and back yards.
13. Solid arts/culture community. People seem to truely appreciate and crave all aspects of art.
14. You can dress how you want and no one cares.


Reasons not to stay in Oregon: *most of these refer to Eugene. The situation in Portland is, I'm sure, vastly different.

1. Because my life has been hell since moving here.
2. People around here have a 'me first' attitude.
3. Oregon is not a hockey state.
4. Monoculture.
5. Good, but small museums in Eugene. Portland is different, though.
6. After two years you'd think I'd get the hint...
7. Job situation sucks!!
8. Both rednecks and hippies piss me off. Eugene is full of them.
9. Outside of work and volunteering at the Museum here, I have no one else I connect with. It's lonely.

Comments:
It sounds like you need to move, but I don't think that you really want/need to go back to Ontario. Perhaps you could look into another city? Oh yeah, like Chicago. I am a huge Chicago fan, so naturally I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to live here. Like with any decision in life, it is a whole hell of a lot easier than you make it out to be. You know what you are going to do, so just trust your gut and do it. Good luck! ~Kate~
 
You are right on many terms, Kate. I probably already do know what I'm going to do, but I like to take it slow. Chicago would be alright...they have a hockey team. What are the museums like?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?