Saturday, December 10, 2005

 

Karma or Coincidence?

I went to Wal-Mart the other day because I needed a pair of scissors and a sewing kit - scissors so I can cut the wrapping paper for the gifts I purchased for my family and the sewing kit for the holes in my pants pockets. As I was walking through the parking lot I found two $5 bills wrapped tightly up and well folded. 'Sweet,' I thought, and contemplated how I might spend my new found wealth, the top choice being treating myself to a good meal. Being a bachelor again means I'm back to my pre-marriage habit of foods that come in boxes and can be prepared in 10 minutes or less. I also eat veggies and fruits, but mine is a simple existence; that's not a bad thing.

I went into the store and did my shopping, and headed out right past a Salvation Army bell ringing person (do they have an official name?). I came to the decision that I would give the money to a worthy charity. I wasnt' losing anything, it wasn't my money to start with, it will hopefully help out somebody who can use a hand, it made me feel good to do it, and I figured, perhaps, some of the good feeling would somehow reach the person who lost the money in the first place; at least their loss wasn't a total waste.

I felt pretty good about myself for the rest of the day. I even felt pretty good about myself for my decision the next day while I was at work.

As I'm walking through the store I notice what looks like another wadded up piece of paper money under one of the animal habitats. Sure enough it is American currency - this time a $20 bill.

My first thought was towards what charity I should donate this money too so that the next day I will stumble across a $50 dollar bill. I actually haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with the money - I've thought about donating it, putting it towards a copy of 'The Writer's Market', or, again, treating myself to a nice meal. Well, I went ahead and had a nice meal yesterday, but I used my own funds for it. I still have the $20, and I'm still wondering what I should do with it..

Comments:
spend it spend it spend it. think about yourself and your own needs, damnit!!! have a good day
 
Hurrah!! My first comment. So this is how it feels...

I'm definatly tempted to spend it! LIke I said I want the new Writers market which is pricey. At the same time donating the money last time made me feel pretty darn good too...tough call...
 
Put part of it in a Salvation Army bucket and spend the rest.....just don't spend it at Wal Mart!!!!!
 
I actually totally agree, eaprez, I'm not a big fan of Walmart. But, I currently have a very limited budget, and it was the one place in town that I could think of to acquire what I needed. I don't spend much money at Walmart, hate trying to find what I need there, but sometimes it's just the most practical option.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?